Search This Blog

Thursday 12 January 2012

Composition in Practice Project 3

Chosen a composition with a strong directional force and a composition with one very large foreground object which runs off at least two sides of the painting As I am quite used to sketching landscapes with a simple directional strength, this is the one that I have painted without pre studies. perhaps I feel more comfortable doing it this way!! Updates on this with the uploaded stages of the work as it develops. I have started the 'foreground' painting at the same time and chosen a figure from my A1 life studies with compositional drafts in my sketch books. This I am finding is clearer, uncomplicated and strong as a painting structure. I have to search my sketch books though to construct the interest around the figure and draw out a strong composition. However, the colour and proportions are testing me and I have had to stand back and do colour studies after looking at other paintings of single figures or one foreground object. This prompted me to undertake a digital sketch - see post of 'The Red Dress' by John Wragg in previous post. I know that this composition does not fully match with the requirement of the task but it helps me to examine, construct and describe the 'foreground object' I need now to paint with the passion that drives me in constructing a painting rather than simply seeing it as a task for the project. It needs to mean something to me now as do the brushstrokes, the colours and the 'landscape' inhabited by my figure. With this in mind,it's getting exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment